Processing and Turning Green Wood
This month's presentation will be by Herm Stolte and will follow up on last month's presentation on harvesting greenwood. He will present some basic wood technology to help you understand the role of moisture in wood and wood movement, then show how to handle green logs in preparation to turning them and how to end up with a dry stable turned product.. He will also discuss some of the ways to bring out the character in a given log.
Come and join in a celebration of the wonders of wood, the tools and equipment used to work with wood, and the people who create with wood.
Friday October 21, 10AM to 5:30PM.
Saturday & Sunday October 22 & 23 9AM-4PM.
Please go to
for more details
Short Demos and/or samples of Various Finishes will be presented.
- George Samaha -- Epoxy and Cyanoacrylate
- Bob Beckworth -- Mixture: Butcher Block Oil, 2 Lb cut shellac and Ethel alcohol
- Garry Goddard -- Shellac
- Vern Steinbrecker -- General Finishes Wood Turner's Finish and Salad Bowl Finish
- Terry Golbeck -- OSMO Hard Wax Oil
- Jim Osenton -- Buffing
If you have examples of any of the above or other finishes that you would like the members to see please bring them along. Comparisons will be made among the various finishes we explore and preferred use (eg Food Work Surfaces, Utility Pieces, Show Display Pieces, Children's Toys). Discussion will include:
- Ease of Application
- Surface Preparation Requirements
- Time between coats
- Ease of repair
- Durability/Resistance to Water, Alcohol, Saliva(Toys)
- Compatibility with Dyes
Black Forest is having their 6th Annual Wood Expo and 22nd Anniversary Sale
Come join in a celebration of the wonders of wood, the tools and equipment used to work with wood, and the people who create with wood.
- Best Prices of the Year on Selected Wood, Tools, & Machinery
- Free Woodworking Demonstrations every hour. For example: Wood Finishing, Carving, Acoustic Guitar Building, Skate Board Construction & many more!
- Visit "The Makers Gallery" and be inspired by the amazing things our customers make with wood
- Manufacturer Representatives are available to answer your questions about woodworking tools, equipment, and wood finishing
- Black Forest Instructors on hand to overview courses
- Discover what the Calgary WoodTurners Guild has to offer
- Free Admission and Parking
- Business Notes and Information
- Slideshow - Wilf Talbot - Segmented Turning Symposium
- Back to Basics Demo - Terry Golbeck - Roughing Gouge
- Advanced Techniques - Don West
- Stabilizing wood and porous materials
- Don would like members to bring in bracelets that they have made.
- Dave Beaman Raffle
The American Association of Woodturners (AAW) has a long history of highly-acclaimed symposiums - dating back to 1987 - featuring turners and collectors from around the world, all gathering for 3 days of demonstrations and exhibits showcasing the art and craft of woodturning.
Come and join us at the Calgary Drop-in Center for a few hours of informal woodturning fun. The sessions generally run from 9:30 (ish) to 3:00 (ish). You can just show up (with or without tools). There's typically one or more expert/advanced woodturner(s) in attendance who can help you with an existing project or just help you get started with the basics.
There is no cost for the session. Lunch is provided (if you wish) for a donation to cover the cost ($5 or so).
Utah Woodturning 2014 Symposium - This year’s theme will be “A Tribute to Dale Nish”. Dale started the Utah Woodturning Symposium in 1979. 2014 Demonstrators include: Kip Christensen, Hans Weissflog, Jakob Weissflog, Art Majerus, Ray Key, Mike Mahoney, Steve Gray, Stuart Mortimer, Bonnie Klein, Kirk DeHeer, Bill Ooms, Nelson Cassinger, Al Stirt, David Ellsworth, Kurt Hertzog, Jerry Kermode, Glenn Lucas, Don Russell, Tom Sorenson, Keith Tompkins, Richard Raffan, Rex Burningham, Joe Wagner and many more.